Saturday, November 14, 2015

NaNo week 2 // recap

Two weeks down -- two to go! NaNoWriMo is killing me slowly... and I'm loving (almost) every minute of it!

Chapters completed: almost 4!
Word count: 22, 108
Week 2 Quote:

Cam’s arms pinwheel for a second, mouth open in surprise, before he topples to the floor. His descent isn’t made any easier by the fact that I actually fall on top of him, my chin on his chest and a book jammed into my side where I suppose his stomach ought to be. 
His frame compacts under me, a full breath of air whooshing out of his lungs, and for a moment I think I’ve killed him. Plus, I’m almost positive that my underwear is showing after all; for a moment I’m not sure which concept upsets me more. 

The theme of this week has been procrastination. Sigh. Although, two points for me as I am writing this post AFTER finishing my book-writing for the day! Yay! 

(disclaimer: most of the following list was compiled before I began writing this post. aka, while I was still supposed to be writing. Sigh again.)

Just for funsies -- here are a few pictures of my main and secondary characters (pictures via my pinterest board ... better quality there, I'm afraid! Photo editing software hates me.)
 
L-R: Skylar, Mike, Anastasia, Cam

Ways to Procrastinate During NaNo:

-make tea
-check your email
-check your texts
-check your bloglovin
-check your pinterest
-(repeat.)
-make a snack
-check your wordcount. subtract your current number from your goal total to find the number of words you have left to complete. Divide this number by the number of minutes left in the time you've set aside for writing. Decide that you love math and hunt for more calculations to do. Probably calculate your word count goals for the rest of the month. Decide that you have no time left for today .... but you didn't meet your word count! Do more math to fix this pressing issue.
-decide that you can't possibly write until you find the right playlist. spend at least ten minutes scouring YouTube for said playlist
-tidy your room
-do laundry (why??? why is this an option??)
-organize your Christmas shopping
-read "just a few pages" of that book you've been dying to open. Finish it. Feel too emotionally involved in someone else's characters to spend time with your own.
-read the beginning of your NaNo manuscript; and then make "just a few changes" (no!! DO NOT DO THIS!!)
-work on the to-do list that you only touch when you're supposed to be doing something else
-write a blog post (like me! Woo!)
-walk around the house and see what your other family members are doing
-follow them around their duties and talk to them until they ask if you have more important things to be doing
-feel too depressed over procrastination levels to stop procrastinating.


Anyone else? Tell me I'm not alone!!

xx
Olivia 

want the gist of my NaNoWriMo - ideas, rants, and storyboarding? Click here!

15 comments:

  1. I know all about procrastination! BUT I just finished typing the revisions of my final chapter (#30). Only a three page epilogue to look over now.

    P.S. Keep up the good work! I love reading each quote of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo!! Go, Margaret! *sends chocolate across the computer* How totally amazing do you feel right now??

      P.S. thanks so much! So glad you like them. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man, yes -- procrastination. It's fun. Haha. But not really. xD I usually only get super procrastinative (a word? hm) when I have literally NO IDEA what to write next. But now I'm on this kick of really thoroughly plotting EVERYTHING in detail, so I tend to not run into too much writer's block and the procrastination it usually induces for me. So yep. :) BUT YOUR LIST IS PERFECT. I'm definitely one of those "check Pinterest" peeps. And the item about math cracked me up! So good. x)

    OMG DA QUOTE. *ventilates* THAt was awesome. You are such a brilliant, witty writer it's awesome. Gah. Can't wait to read some of your work, girl! You can DO THIS THING. *air punches and foam fingers* :D

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny story, I've never actually been a procrastinator before! But now that I'm doing NaNo and trying to write lots of words, all the time, I get so stir-crazy and I'm like, GOTTA DO SOMETHING ELSE. So this is new territory for me, but even though sometimes I get frustrated at myself for getting so little accomplished, I want to laugh at myself, too. I mean, seriously. Math??

      THANK YOU I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED IT

      Delete
  3. HAHA OMG SO RELATABLE. XD Whyyyy does one's closet suddenly need cleaning out when NaNo is glaring at them?!? I swear my room always looks super neat when I'm supposedly "writing". -_- Procrastinating. GLAHHH. Although I actually don't suffer from it as much as I used to. XD If I have a really detailed outline, I'm not terrified by any blank pages. XD Congrats on surviving week 2, though!! I'm giggling at that snippet. xD
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha everything in my life is toootally organized during NaNo because I sit down to write and I'm like, "wait! I must attend to this other pressing matter before I can concentrate on writing!!" Lol and then suddenly having clean toilets becomes SUPER important. I mean, it's super important anyway. But I digress.
      Glad you liked the snippet! I'm discovering that Skylar's pretty funny... or at least, I think she is :p

      Delete
  4. Haha, that list is so hilariously true. I woke up on Saturday morning thinking, "Clean everything! Purge the closet and dresser! Cook all of those delicious-looking recipes!" And then, like a good little NaNoer, I sat myself down at the desk and wrote, because that's what I told myself I was going to do on Saturday morning. And then I spent most of the rest of the weekend doing... not-writing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serena, you totally nailed my life!! I guess writing is good for motivation? Haha! Good for you for writing anyway - and for allowing yourself the freedom to have a reward after you reached your goal!!! You are rocking this!

      Delete
  5. Those ways to procrastinate were probably my favorite things ever!!!!!! <3 So accurate. Way to go for doing NaNoWriMo. Seriously I could never. I mean sometimes I think I could but then I just- all of the procrastination. Loved the excerpt too!! OH, and I love those pictures for your characters! I love Colin Morgan and Sam Claflin, and I've actually pinned that picture of the girl on the left to my private writing inspiration board. hahaha! Great minds think a like I guess. ;) Cannot wait for next weeks recap ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Olivia!! (It feels so weird to type my name, but have it not be my name!! what even?) I'm so glad you could relate! Also, eep! thanks for commenting on the pictures of my characters... I ADORE Colin Morgan, and Sam Clafin of course as well -- I wasn't even looking for pictures of those specific actors, I was just browsing "dark hair" or "blonde guy laughing," or something, and they fit my mental image SO well. You're a sweetheart! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, you're not alone. That is literally the writing struggle. Everything else becomes vastly and inexplicably more important! You sit down to write, and there's always something else to be done. But keep going! You've got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm so glad you can relate! Today I procrastinated by tidying the living room, cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping the floor, cleaning the dog's food bowls, and chatting with my sister, who laughed at me because I am pathetic. :p Kidding (kind of!) But I am writing now (or I was, before I got distracted by blogging!) and I have almost met my goal for today! Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, I'm not doing the writing thing but every one of these things on your list I could use in relationships with homework

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great blog by the way! I'll be reading more

      Delete
    2. Oh man, I can totally see how that would relate! I did not like having homework and am SO happy to be free of it during my year off! Thanks so much for commenting! :)

      Delete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.