Saturday, October 31, 2015

my NaNoWriMo

It is October 31! Do you know what that means? (a clue: NOT Halloween!)


It means that NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, for those of you who have never heard of the craziness that is writers everywhere during the month of November) is just around the corner! I haven't attempted NaNo since 2011, when I was fourteen years old. I finished the month off having reached my goal of 50,000 words, and then after the editing was done and I'd decided that wow, I loved writing and couldn't wait to do this again... I promptly sank into a canyon of novel-less inspiration, which meant I didn't even blink at NaNoWriMo in the subsequent years.

But this year I am ready and I am so, so excited to try again.



I've been thinking and planning for this novel for at least a year and a half... with absolutely no success. Zilch. The characters grabbed my heart and hung on a long time ago, but I couldn't find a world to settle them in, couldn't make anything feel right, couldn't get a story off the ground until a few months ago, when everything just clicked into place and I thought, huh. November.

Title: none, currently (I refer to it as "Skylar's Story," at the moment)
Story in a Sentence: Three months after the car accident that left her permanently deaf, Skylar is an unwilling participant in a family vacation to Nova Scotia, where she unintentionally finds herself a job at the local library and discovers that small towns are a lot more complicated than they appear.
Pinterest Storyboard here


I made a storyboard full of conglomorated thoughts and caps lock and scribbled "notes to self," and I'm so excited to put it to use next month! Because I've been so busy lately, I decided not to put pressure on myself to reach the full 50,000 words - I'd rather enjoy writing slightly less words than work myself to the bone and hate every minute of it. When I first started writing books, Mum used to tell me "quality, not quantity," and that's usually what I remind myself now, too.

I know quite a few bloggers are doing NaNoWriMo - let me know who you are! Let's share the craziness!

xx
Olivia

14 comments:

  1. Good luck--your story sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alex!! That is so encouraging and good to hear :)

      Delete
  2. Your story board is beautiful -- I should really make one for myself so I'm not constantly flipping between Pinterest and Word. And I love the premise of your story. I'm a fellow NaNo-er, but I've never done it before, so probably not going to reach a full 50,000 by the end of the month. http://nanowrimo.org/participants/serena-poetree

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made a physical storyboard either, Serena, but I'm finding it really helpful so far! It means I don't have to have flip between three or four open Word documents... and it means I'm not as readily distracted by an open Pinterest account, haha!! Also, cheers to also attempting NaNo! I'm not on the website, but I will cheer you on from afar!

      Delete
  3. I hope you'll share your progress! I'm trying to finish revising my last year's NaNo novel by December 4th, so I'll be working hard too. (I wrote 53,000 words last November and now it's nearly 95,000!) I never made a Pinterest storyboard before. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to put up a weekly post with word counts and fun stats and facts, but depending on how much I write (either too much to spare the time or so little that I'm too embarrassed to talk about it, haha!) we'll see if that actually happens. Congrats on completing NaNo last year, and good luck with the edits!! It's so neat to see your book grow like that! :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds so exciting! Congratulations on taking the leap to do NaNoWriMo again. I wish you all the luck! And your story sounds interesting! I want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Danielle! I'm at the "doubting my own work" stage so this comment was a welcome dose of encouragement! :)

      Delete
    2. Ugh, that stage, I hate that stage. So you're welcome and any time! I'm always happy to encourage you because your words DO matter no matter the doubts. :) One time I heard this guy say something along the lines of, "The doubting voices come when you're doing something that matters." That's really helped me to keep in mind.

      Delete
    3. Wow. I seriously love that. Writing it on my storyboard right now!

      Delete
    4. Jon Acuff! THAT'S who said that. *is so proud of self for remembering name*

      Delete
  5. OKAY. AH. EEEE AAHHH. SO many things to sayyyy. *heart eyes instead* Okay. Ahem.

    So, first I've got to say, props for doing NaNo but not officially "entering" because I've never seen anyone do that, but I've considered it a lot. Mostly because I'm kind of afraid of ideas being stolen. Haha. Probably shouldn't be so paranoid, but there ya have it. So yeah. I've kind of been wanting to do NaNo with your method for a while.

    Second, your plot sounds AWESOME DUDE. Like...gahhhh!! And I love your storyboard (both Pinterest and physical.) It has such a good, vibrant feel. (And omg the pin about the headphones? Gaaah, the depth the depth..I want to read this story so bad you don't even know. O_O) And your concept for Cam is gorgeous just saying. ♥

    Your mom is SO right! Quality always matters most. Take your time and enjoy the ride, I say. ;) IT'S GOING TO BE AWESOME I CAN FEEL IT. You go, girl!! :D

    love,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SO PARANOID ABOUT PEOPLE TAKING MY IDEAS!! I looked at the NaNoWriMo website to decide if I wanted to enter this year because it is SO cool... but the idea of posting your whole book into their text box, even if you use a word scrambler just freaks me out too much. Like, NO. It is MINE.

      I am in total love with my storyboard! I prop it up beside me when I write (I carry it all over the house with me, it's currently leaning against the wall beside the couch). My Pinterest one makes me happy, too. :) Cam's my favourite. (he's just such a sweetheart.) Although Skylar's pretty funny, I like her too. :p

      Thanks so much for commenting!! I love how vibrant you are, even through a computer screen.

      Delete
  6. Ok I am like obsessively reading through these past posts, oh my goodness. I would love to read this novel! I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.