Wednesday, November 12, 2014

pad thai tuesday

So lately I've fallen in love with Asian food. I crave vermicelli and bean sprouts and pad thai and spring rolls absolutely constantly all the freakin' time. Brooke and I went out for lunch to an awesome Asian place last week and it was amazing, but I came home and was like, I need more.
So I went to Pinterest and found me a pad thai recipe that is SUPER easy and ridiculously yummy. And not even that expensive! You can buy all the ingredients at your regular grocery store. And it's all homemade and healthy and not like, what is this word in the ingredients list because it looks like someone went adgoiahgufufoiahg on their keyboard for a second there.

YOU MUST TRY IT.

*original recipe here*

Easy Pad Thai - Olivia's adaptation

Serves 4
8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced

1/2 cup grated carrot
1 small chicken breast (or whatever tickles your fancy)
3 large eggs, light beaten
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts

  1. Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
  3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 1-2 minutes). Transfer eggs to a plate.
  5. Add noodles, scallion greens, grated carrot, chicken, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are coated. Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently.
  6. Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with peanuts.
just a note: I made this recipe for the first time yesterday, without the grated carrot. I've eaten it in pad thai before and really liked it, and will be adding it the next time I use this recipe.

I only took one (rather horrible) picture of my finished product, but mine ended up looking almost exactly like the original version, so go look at her beautiful pictures if you're one of those people who needs a visual of the recipe at 30-second intervals. Because I swear the original blogger took that many pictures. (and they're all gorgeous. Seriously go look.)

But here's what I ended up with:

shoutout to hastily-taken phone pix when you're starving hungry and just want to eat


and it was goooooood.

Have you ever tried pad thai? Love or loathe?

xx
Olivia

P.S. Sorry if this post was all over the place and weird. It's been a weird day.

2 comments:

  1. FOOD! <3
    This looks super yum! I've never tried it before, but I love Asian food, too, so I think I'm definitely gonna try to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I crave pad thai too! The simple recipe looks good because I've had disasters with tamarind paste in the past!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.